Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Button button...

So, I'm a lazy blogger. I didn't end up getting my 'Steampunk Summer Costume' finished in time for the tea party, but I did get it mostly finished. See above. I'm not sure if I like it now that all the panels are in - its a bit too flamenco dancer-y - so I may take them out and cut them down.

For the boned waistband, I followed a tutorial at Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing. I was loosely working from an existing pencil skirt pattern that had a high waistband, but I drafted the more 'waist cincher' shape that I wanted over the original pattern piece. I used more boning in my waistband then Gertie - I had some six inch bones lying around, so I used one of those for the CF bone, and zip ties for the rest, so I choose to double every boning channel since the zip ties aren't that sturdy.


See, it looks like Gertie's! I even bought silk organza like her tutorial says.


Now, the reason the skirt is mostly finished is because of the fastenings. I wanted to do buttons with loops because I thought it would be cute, so I scoured the internet for tips and tricks on the best way to do button loops. I traced my pattern piece on to tracing paper, drew guidelines, taped my loops in place, stitched them down, stitched the tracing paper to the garment, and tore away the paper. I thought everything was great! I finished my placket and facings, and sat down to sew on the buttons. I sewed on one, and thought I would test it out, and my loops are toooooooooooooooo small. :( I am probably just going to get some different buttons, because I really don't want to take it apart and re-do the loops. Probably I won't get around to it until the next Steampunk picnic or tea party is planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment