Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Hats and other things


Look, pretty! Not quite done, I'm actually still stitching the brim on, and I have to line it, but I am excited to decorate it. You can see there are some bubbles in the fabric on the brim. My millinery teacher swore by spray adhesive to prevent such bubbles, and I used it, but still bubbles have appeared. I am hoping once I shape the brim it will stretch them out a touch.

Cole's hat isn't as far along. Honestly, because its not as pretty, so I'd rather work on mine :p And I want to wear mine to an event this weekend, which he is not attending. Also, his is a full size hat, not a toy, and I find everything takes so much longer on his. So working on mine is more instantly gratifying. You can see the 'wrinkles' on the top of his - these aren't a mistake. The fabric has heat set wrinkles in it, which add to the textured look he wanted, so I didn't stretch them all the way out. And last night I started on a new project, my "summer costume". Its actually just a skirt, but I have enough fabric to make a jacket at a future date. Its a linen blend with a metallic stripe, and I'm hoping to get the skirt done by Saturday to wear to tea. The fabric is not quite what I was hoping for, the dark stripe is a little too dark, and I was thinking a crinkle cotton, but this is what I could find. Its going to be a six panel pencil skirt, and I'm going to insert gores that end just above the knee. Never really done such a thing, so I'm going to do some experimenting with the shape of the gores. Also, high waist band with boning. Have a tutorial on how to do that, and I'm not worried about it, expect I still have to draft the waistband. The shape of the one that came with the pattern I'm working from is much too dull.

So, plan for today - its now already 11 am. I want to get the rest of the skirt cut out, and sewn together. I have to go to Sears for some machine needles, and the grocery store. And I'm supposed to meet the boyfriend at the gym at 3:30. Better get to it.

(You may have noticed that none of these things is the under bust corset I mentioned. I guess I'm bored of that project, before even starting it :S I was planning on wearing it to the Antique Corset Exhibition at Hycroft on Sunday, but now if the skirt turns out, I will wear that instead. Its only Tuesday. I suppose in some universe I could finish the skirt and the corset, but I'm not going to stress over it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment