Monday, June 6, 2011

Paper mock ups

Here we are looking oh so fly in our craft paper hats.

My hat is inspired by a hat worn by Glinda in Wicked (which Cole took me to yesterday for our anniversary <3). I will be covering it in a faux duppoini in a light gold shot with green. Its interesting. I think the crown is too shallow for a band, but I am thinking a nice bushy ostrich plumb.
Cole's hat is inspired by a hat worn by a young James Caan in the John Wayne movie "El Dorado." Not to be confused with the John Wayne movie "Rio Bravo" which has an almost identical plot, and a cast which closely resembles each other. Anyway, James Caan's character Mississippi inherits his hat from a river boat gambler. Cole choose a dark mottled grey for his hat, and he wants to do some large silver decorations on the band.
I will leave you with a picture taken at a steampunk gathering a couple of weeks ago. We were at a local cafe called the Prophouse which was really lovely. Every inch of it was cover in antique/retro lighting and mirrors and art and knicknacks. It was perfect for a steampunk get together. Also, the chocolate chip shortbread was delicious. I am sporting my first attempt at a covered buckram hat, which I made during a millinery class at Capilano University.

1 comment: