Thursday, May 20, 2010

Fail blog.

So, after my success with the yowie face, I had these grand plans of making monster gloves as well. I painstakingly hand stitched together a very basic glove - a blown up tracing of my boyfriend's had, two layers, stitch around the outside. I didn't want to do a proper glove because I wanted to minimize the seams, and theoretically make my life easier. The stitching was painful. The only leather needle I could find was in a package of "repair needles", and the one that was labeled 'leather' was not sharp enough to go through the hide. There was one labeled 'Tent/Deck Chair/Canvas' (sure, whatever) that had a sharp end in the triangle shape that I think of a leather needle, and that went pretty well for the thumb and the index finger, and then the eye broke. So I tried the 'Sacks/Packing' needle which had the same type of end, but was much larger. To big, and the eye would barely go through the holes it made. The 'Bookbinding/Sailmakers' needle bent. In an act of desperation, I went to my book of regular old hand stitching needles and found that the regular old sharp needles went through the leather just find. After a while, I developed a system of piercing holes with the broken leather needle, and then stitching through them with the sharp. I still broke 6 sharps while stitch the one glove, and my fingers were so sore I had to use pliers to pull the needle through after the middle finger. Totally lame.


So finally finish sewing the glove, looks alright, I know from a prior experiment that the leather is too stiff to turn when its dry, so I get it wet and begin the painstaking process of turning the fingers right side out. Much use of the pliers was needed to make this happen. Anyway, finally get it turned (mostly) and my boyfriend tries it on. He can get it on his hand, but all the 'loose-ness' I was hoping to have to wrinkle and texture does not exist. It fits, quite literally, like a glove. And at this point it is about 9 pm on Thursday, and I am leaving Brisbane for good early Saturday morning. I still have to do pesky things like pack. So we made the executive decision to buy some monster hands instead. Credit card to the rescue!

In this picture, the mask is still being held on by elastic bands. Its been upgraded to a proper elastic behind the head now. It is going to be enhanced with some paint, but I won't be around to do that. I'm pretty pleased with it, considering I've never done this before.


P.S. The boyfriend is much better looking withough the mask.

No comments:

Post a Comment