Monday, May 17, 2010

Mask time

Pretty, right? :p I think I'll leave it like this. Actually, this is my test drive for the actual mask. I got a hide of vegetable tanned leather, and I'm going to make the mask, and gloves, out of it. Vegetable tanned leather can be molded and shaped when it is wet, and when it dries, it keeps its shape. We had an opportunity to play with it once when I was at school. The film doesn't have a make-up artist on board yet, and they weren't sure if they would be able to get someone with special effect experience who could do a creature face. Veg tan leather is used for venetian masks, and boiled leather armor etc. I have never made a mask with it before, let alone a creature mask. But no one really knows what a yowie looks like, so no one can tell me I got it wrong.
I did some tests on a piece of the leather to figure out some techniques to add texture to the face. I'm taking my inspiration from this.


So, here is the first draft of the Yowie Mask. Not as much texture as I originally imagine, but I decided to stop for now, rather then take it to far. Once it has dried, I'm going to put it on the boyfriend's face and see how that effects it, and go from there. Looking at the Planet of the Apes picture again, I'm wishing I had done the nose more like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment